The third phase of the nation’s Coronavirus Vaccination drive will commence from May 1st 2021. Eligible citizens can register through two platform – the CoWIN website (as there are no apps related) and the Aarogya Setu app.
The Government of India’s decision came as the need of the hour due to a spike in the country’s COVID-19 cases due to the second wave.
Previously, citizens aged above 45 were authorized to take the vaccine shot.
People have to register themselves for the vaccine online before heading to the vaccine centers.
What do you need to know?
- Online registration for people falling in the age group of 18 to 44 years will start from the 28th of April 2021.
- Registration would be done through the CoWIN website – cowin.gov.in website and Aarogya Setu mobile app.
- Remember: There is no mobile app for CoWin. The CoWIN mobile app, which is available for download in the play store is only for administrators, not for beneficiaries.
- There will be no walk-in registration for the age group of 18 and 44 as all appointments have to be booked in advance through the two platforms. However, senior citizens will be allowed to avail the walk-in registration facility.
- In the previous two phases, an individual could book an appointment for other 4 people, but now only self-registration will be allowed in phase 3, starting from May 1.
- After your self-registration on or after April 28, the appointments will be slotted starting from May 1 onwards.
- Vaccination will be provided free for everyone at central government hospitals.
- State government and private hospitals will charge the price depending on the open market price.
- Moving May 1, 50% of the vaccines made by a manufacturer will go to the Centre, while the other 50% will be for state governments, private hospitals and the open market (excluding pharmacies).
- The government will continue its free vaccine drive for people aged above 45 years, healthcare workers and frontline workers via government vaccination centres i.e., Serum Institute of India’s Covishield and Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin can be obtained free of cost.
- People who are 45 or above could get either vaccine for INR 250 at private hospitals since the centre has capped the price.
Following the move, the Serum Institute of India (SII) has announced its prices for the Covishield vaccine for INR 600 per dose to private hospitals and INR 400 per dose to state governments.
However, the price could get higher as additional charges can be added to the aforementioned.
Hence, people falling in the age group of 18 and 44, who wish to get the Covishield vaccine has to pay the quoted price at state government and private hospitals.
Bharat Biotech has not yet announced Covaxin’s price.
Meanwhile, states including Uttar Pradesh, Assam, Sikkim, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala have announced free vaccination in this phase.
How to self-register yourself for the COVID-19 vaccine online?
Through CoWIN Portal – CoWIN website
- Open the CoWIN website and click on Register/Sign in Yourself
- Enter your 10-digit mobile number or Aadhaar number.
- An OTP will be sent to your phone.
- Enter the digits and click verify.
- On the ‘Register for Vaccination’ page, enter all the details – Name, Gender, Year of Birth and Photo ID proof. Then click on Register.
- After successful registration, you will get the option to schedule an appointment.
- Click on schedule next to the name of the person registered.
- Provide your PIN CODE and click on Search. The listed centres nearby your location will show up.
- Select the preferred date and time and click on Confirm.
After your vaccination, you will get a Reference ID via which you can get your vaccination certificate.
You need at have least one of the following documents at the time of registration, along with a Photo ID.
- Aadhaar Card
- PAN Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Health Insurance Smart Card issued under by Ministry of Labour
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment
- Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) Job Card
- Official identity cards issued to MPs/MLAs/MLCs
- Passbooks issued by Bank/Post Office
- Pension Document
- Service Identity Card issued to employees by Central/ State Govt./ Public Limited Companies
How to register through Aarogya Setu App?
- Open the Aarogya Setu App
- On the home screen, click on the CoWIN tab.
- Choose Vaccination Registration and enter your Phone Number
- An OTP will be shared on your number, enter the digits and click Verify.
- You will be directed to the Registration of Vaccination page
- Follow the same steps as mentioned in the ‘Process for registration through CoWIN portal’ guide.
Each citizen will be given two shots of the vaccine- the second shot of Covaxin should be taken between 28 days to 42 days after the first dose and the second dose of Covishield should be taken between 28 days to 56 days after the first dose.